January 11, 2013

Angel Chicken... MY WAY

Yesterday I was looking for a crockpot meal because I just feel like there are not enough hours in the day and I have a gajillion things to do around this house. I didn't even really make a dent in finding places for all the stuff I still need to put away after moving. Raggghhhh. I do not suggest ever moving ever again.

Anywhoodle.

I found this recipe that had RAVE reviews on The Crockin' Girls called Angel Chicken.

Ingredients:

  • 4 to 6 Chicken Breasts
  • 1/4 Cup Butter
  • 1/2 Package Dry Italian salad dressing mix
  • 1 Can Cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 Cup Dry white wine
  • 4 Ounces Cream cheese with onions and chives
  • 1 Box penne pasta

Well, I had a few of those. But I didn't have Dry Italian salad dressing mix, white wine, or onion and chives cream cheese. So, I dug around in my pantry and fridge trying to decide on something else, when I had a revelation. 

I noticed I had some Philadelphia Cooking Creams - Santa Fe (that won't work) and Pesto. Would that work? Hmmm. Not if I don't dressing mix and wine. So then I read through the reviews and a lot of people said they substituted with either chicken broth or beer. Beer it is! I've almost always got that. :)

We still have this problem of the dressing mix, though. Ugh. What am I gonna do? Oh wait!!! I have a packet of Pesto sauce mix. The heavens have opened up and sent down the perfect combo!

Okay so here's what I did. Oh yeah, I took the advice of the other reviews and double the sauce. I threw in about 5 frozen chicken breasts, 1 stick of butter, 1 full package of Pesto sauce mix, 2/3 of one beer (yes, I drank 4 entire ounces at 1pm this afternoon), 1 can of cream of mushroom, and 1 can of cream of chicken. I set the crockpot on high for an hour and low for about 4 1/2 - 5 hours (My crockpot cooks uber fast). I cooked the pasta, shredded the chicken, and served it up with a side salad. 

I was very surprised how delicious it turned out, especially since I did SO many substitutions. I just happened to have the PERFECT substitutions, I guess!

Try it. It's SO good and easy!

Crockin' Girls Angel Chicken






No comments:

Post a Comment